A new Skills List has been announced called the Priority Migration Skilled Occupation List (PMSOL). Applicants who apply for an occupation on the PMSOL will be able to apply from overseas and receive an exemption for travel into Australia despite the current border restrictions.
The occupation list currently includes 17 occupations:
• Chief Executive or Managing Director (111111)
• Construction Project Manager (133111)
• Mechanical Engineer (233512)
• General Practitioner (253111)
• Resident Medical Officer (253112)
• Psychiatrist (253411)
• Medical Practitioner nec (253999)
• Midwife (254111)
• Registered Nurse (Aged Care) (254412)
• Registered Nurse (Critical Care and Emergency) (254415)
• Registered Nurse (Medical) (254418)
• Registered Nurse (Mental Health) (254422)
• Registered Nurse (Perioperative) (254423)
• Registered Nurses nec (254499)
• Developer Programmer (261312)
• Software Engineer (261313)
• Maintenance Planner (312911)
These occupations will be able to enter Australia to assist in the country’s COVID recovery.
Acting Minister for Immigration, Citizenship, Migrant Services and Multicultural Affairs Alan Tudge stated in his joint media release with Senator Michaelia Cash that…
“These occupations in the health care, construction and IT sectors will supercharge both our health and economic response to COVID-19.
The media release on 2 September 2020 explained the new skills list which was announced to support Australia during COVID-19. The release can be found here. Within the media release, Alan Tudge states that:
“Visa holders, who have been sponsored by an Australia business in a PMSOL occupation can request an exemption from Australia’s travel restrictions.”
Priority is also being given to the occupations listed on the PMSOL, in order to support Australia during the COVID-19 Pandemic.