Coronavirus Updates for Working Holiday visa holders

Working Holiday (Subclass 417) and Work and Holiday (Subclass 462) visa holders

There have been several Coronavirus updates for Working Holiday visa holders in Australia. For example, it has become difficult to travel between states – in some cases state borders may soon be closing. If a Working Holiday visa holder cannot support themselves, they should return to their home countries. As the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) pandemic continues, many businesses are sadly being forced to shut down. Many backpackers working on a casual or part-time basis have lost their work (and their income) as a result.

Flexibility for backpackers working in critical sectors

The Government has announced it will exercise some flexibility for Working Holiday and Work and Holiday visa holders, but only for those working in certain industries.

Critical sectors include:

  • Health
  • Aged care
  • Disability care
  • Agriculture
  • Food processing
  • Childcare.

Working holiday makers who are working in these critical sectors will be exempt from the six month work limitation with the one employer. Furthermore, they will be eligible for a further visa to keep working in these critical sectors if their current visa is due to expire in the next six months.

Backpackers told to return home if they can’t support themselves

The Government has provided several Coronavirus Updates for Working Holiday visa holders. They have advised working holiday makers to consider whether they can sustain themselves over the next six months. If not, the Government recommends that they make arrangements to leave Australia.

Requirement to register before moving across the country

Before moving to other parts of the country, working holiday makers will need to self-isolate for 14 days. They will also need to register at the website. Backpackers who do not comply with these conditions will face having their visas cancelled.

ABC news has released an article discussing the effect of Coronavirus on Working Holiday visa holders.

Contact us for help

For assistance with your current visa, or for assessment of further visa options for you in Australia, contact MyPath Migration. You can contact us by sending us an email or using our contact form.

This Post Has 2 Comments

  1. Martin Schoter

    Like!! Great article post. Really thank you!

  2. Aimil

    Very good article. I will be facing many of these issues as well…

Leave a Reply