Australian working visa – how do I get one?

So… you have a set of skills which you think would be valuable in Australia. You need an Australian working visa. Where do you begin?

There are several options for work visas in Australia. Your eligibility depends on factors such as your age, your education, your work experience, your English language skills, etc.

Here is a list of Australian work visa options:

  • Employer Sponsored visas (Subclass 482, 186, 187)
  • Training Visa (Subclass 407)
  • State sponsored visas (Subclass 489, 190)
  • Independent Skilled visa (Subclass 189)
  • Working holiday (Subclass 417)
  • Work and holiday visa (Subclass 462)
  • Temporary Work visas (Subclass 400, 403, 408)
  • Temporary Graduate visa (Subclass 485)

Find your occupation

Start by looking at your skills and determine what occupation best fits your abilities in ANZSCO.

What visas can I apply for with my occupation?

Then, check the current occupation lists to see which visa your occupation is available on. Some visas require a skills assessment, so make sure you plan in enough time to get your application together including the Skills Assessment program.

Adding your family members

Certain visas allow you to add your partner and children to your visa application. Other visas (such as the working holiday visa) are single applicant visas, and you will not be able to add anyone to these visas.

Click here for information on workplace rights for visa holders in Australia.

If you are lost and don’t know what to do next, please contact us for assistance.

Leave a Reply